Friday, February 12, 2010

Whole Food Breakfasts

On mornings when I'm running late, I usually end up dashing out the door with an apple or clementine and a Ziplock bag full of milk+honey brand granola.  But sometimes, nothing will do but a big, hearty plate full of meat and eggs.

Like so:

Or like so:


I love fresh-baked bread, especially in the morning, but I've been really wrestling with what to do about white flour.  Fact: all-purpose white flour is only available enriched with all sorts of things my great grandmother wouldn't approve of, like thiamin.  But fact: white flour absorbs moisture differently than its heartier cousin whole wheat flour.  If you try to replace the white flour in a recipe with whole wheat flour (even "white" whole wheat flour) something very odd can happen, like the following:


My experimentation with the Trader Joe "white" whole wheat flour resulted in two very strange loaves. The dough was incredibly tight -- nearly impossible to knead -- and they barely rose at all while baking, which gave them this heavy, dense texture best analogized (as Amy put it) to fudge.


I'm going to keep working on the right mix of ingredients to make this work, when I get a spare hour to study the chapter on bread in "On Food and Cooking".  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the old whole-wheat conundrum. Check out Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day - no knead bread, whole grain flours, terrible title, delicious loaves. Also, google around on substituting WW for AP flour; I think it's usually better to start with a partial swap and you may need to adjust liquid levels too. There are tons of recipes formulated to use WW flour, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Adrienne! I'll definitely try some of this out as I experiment more ...

    ReplyDelete