Friday, January 8, 2010

Courtesy of Margaret

The man himself blogs about his eating habits, putting my efforts to shame: http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/01/michael_pollan_still_forages_f.html

Fresh-picked chanterelle mushroom raviolis?  Yes, thank you.

I appreciate what he says (toward the bottom of the page) about doing the best you can:

"It would be incredibly trying to do that and I do think the perfect is the enemy of the good. You get three votes a day when you're eating, and several votes within each meal, and you get as many right as you can, and that makes a real difference. I think if you set the bar too high for yourself or for other people you discourage people from doing anything. So I'm all in favor of either companies or individuals taking baby steps."


I'd like to be perfect this year in the challenge I've set myself, but it's already clear how difficult it is to even KNOW what is processed or unprocessed.  Bearing in mind these words of wisdom, I know that there will be occasions where I'll have to shrug and simply do the best I can.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,

    First off let me say that I am super impressed with you for taking on this challenge. I am also attempting to eat less processed food and only locally sourced produce in meats. This week I have been trying not eat meat and it's been a STRUGGLE.

    I'm in Chicago as well and it's been pretty tough this winter with only a couple of farmers markets open (if you know more please do tell!).

    I look forward to reading all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Renee! Sorry I missed your post ... I, too, have been frustrated by the lack of farmer's markets (the Hyde Park one closed at the end of October). Basically, I'm getting by for the moment with Whole Foods for produce, getting my meat and eggs from C&D farms -- Crystal comes up to Hyde Park every week. If you're close to this neighborhood and want her contact info, let me know and I'll definitely forward it along.

    Thanks for reading, and good luck with your personal challenge, too!!

    ReplyDelete