Thursday, April 29, 2010

It's My Party and I'll Eat What I Want To


Every Wednesday morning, the University of Chicago Law School hosts an event called "Coffee Mess" in which Dunkin Donuts coffee, doughnuts, bagels, and an assortment of fruits and yogurts are provided for law students.

Wednesday mornings have been very difficult for me this year.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I'll be damned if I wasn't going to have a doughnut on my birthday.


Or two.


I'm going to be honest with you: they were very, very tasty.  Marsha Nagorsky, our Dean of Communications (shout out!) challenged me about eating them; what is the lesson of the experiment if, on the one day a year you really can and should eat whatever your heart desires, I choose to eat heavily processed foods?

She had a point.  And here's the answer:  the lesson is that after months of eating unprocessed foods with few exceptions, gorging on two huge frosted doughnuts on my birthday resulted in A) a silty feeling on the roof of my mouth that lasted all the way through two classes, until I eventually got home to brush my teeth and B) several hours of serious stomach upset.

When I say "serious stomach upset", you should read "major diarrhea."

It's all honesty on this blog.

AWESOME way to spend a birthday.

Thankfully, it wasn't all bad news.  My lovely friend Amy has a tradition of baking everyone cupcakes on their birthdays.  Usually that involves the birthday friend articulating their favorite Betty Crocker flavor, but for me, she insisted on making them from scratch.


She was most concerned about making home-made frosting, and settled on fresh-cut strawberries in a sugar sauce.  It had to be spooned in immediately precedent to eating:



Everyone was amused.  Especially when she pulled out a stove lighter to light my candle.

We won't discuss those balloons.


Happy birthday to me!  Thanks Amy -- and everyone else -- for making my day special.  That's kind of a feat, especially since it was a Wednesday in law school with six hours of classes, homework to finish, and things to work on for the clinic.

And diarrhea.

No comments:

Post a Comment